Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Recipe: Sausage Cookies - Failsafe


In our family, we call these Sausage Cookies.


Not because they contain sausages ...


... but because we roll the dough into a sausage shape before slicing them!

We're still doing the Failsafe diet here, 
and I love it when I can use one of my regular (and favourite) recipes!

Sausage Cookies

Ingredients:
180g butter or margarine
1 1/4 cups brown sugar*
1 tspn vanilla
1 egg
3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Toppings of choice

Method:
1. Beat butter and sugar together in small bowl with electric mixer, until light and fluffy
2. Add egg and vanilla
3. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the sifted flour and baking powder
(at some point I have to turn off the mixer and stir by hand)
4.  Roll out the dough into 3 long sausage shapes, about 4cm in diameter.
5.  Refrigerate for at least 30mins (or up to a week, or can be frozen)
6. Cut into slices with a sharp knife, I guess I cut them about 8mm wide.
7. Bake in a moderate oven, on baking paper.  
My oven cooks quickly and it takes about 10 minutes, 
yours might take longer.  
Also I like my cookies to be soft and chewy, 
you might like yours crunchier, so bake them longer!


Toppings:
Here's the fun part!
You can add toppings before or after you bake, here are some ideas:
Glace cherries or nuts - add before baking, press into the top
Choc melts, Freckles, Choc Chip - place on top of each cookie 
immediately after you take the trays out of the oven, they will melt slightly and stick on.
We are using white choc chips or carob buds while on the Failsafe diet.
I love that you can take one batch of dough and make it into different cookies by varying the toppings!
Enjoy!

*Some people on the failsafe diet may wish to use caster sugar instead of brown sugar

This recipe is from the Family Circle Biscuits, Cookies and Shortbread cookbook

No comments: