Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Slowing Down


In the last few years my reading has included books like breathe by Keri Wyatt Kent and Not So Fast by Ann Kroeker. I love blogs that show an attempt at a simple and slow life, and blogs where simple things give pleasure to the writer.

This week I've had a very slow, simple existence. With Laura at home with whooping cough, there's not much to do, and nowhere to be. Even the 9.00 and 3.00 school runs have disappeared. I've enjoyed spending more time than usual cooking, reading, cleaning and blogging.

It's also made me think about the balance between Slow and Too Slow.

If I'm not slow enough, life becomes stressful, and I start to focus wholly on myself, and getting through whatever comes at me through each day while I keep all the balls in the air.

If I'm too slow, then I become lethargic and lazy and my brain starts to become sluggish and my heart becomes selfish. (hmmm, sensing a pattern of selfishness here)

This is what I'm seeing that I need in order for Slow to work for me:
Direction
Light
Contentment

Direction: without direction I am a boat without a rudder. An email comes in and I'm thrown off-course. A daughter is difficult and I start to wallow in self-pity. Add clutter or high temperatures to that and I'm a complete disaster. I've never been a routine girl so I work best with a few projects for each day and hopefully the daily duties will fit in around that.

Light: when it's hot and we have to shut up the house I find it really hard to do anything. But come late afternoon or the cooler weather when I can see outside ... suddenly I'm filled with energy to enjoy working again in my home.

Contentment: Without it I will be impatient and frustrated when things are slow. I like being at home, and I've got plenty to do here, so I'm never bored. Overall I am content. But I have to admit that I'm not always content when I'm dealing with clutter and mess and dirt.

Contentment comes from knowing I'm in the right place, doing the right thing - whether I am at home or out leading bible study or teaching piano or catching up with friends. Most of all, contentment comes from knowing who I am under God, and living that out where He has put me right now.


My aim was to slow down this year. How have I been going so far?

January: - school holidays
- too slow
- lethargic, lazy and selfish (lack of light and too hot)

Early February: back to school
- almost too busy already but better than last year
(cut out some activities this year)

Late February: whooping cough isolation
- swinging wildly between being contented, stressed or lazy
(external factors/lack of light/sick child at home)

Laura heads back to school in a couple of days so I get a second chance at working on Slow.

Have you tried to slow down?
What works and doesn't work for you?

2 comments:

Sunny Simple Life said...

You and I think a lot alike. Hope your daughter is on the mend.

Unknown said...

I could use some slowing down in my life myself. Thanks for the kind comments on my blog. Good luck on slipcovering you chair! I'm going to attempt a slipcover for a reading chair as well. We'll have to share our results.