Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

How Rich am I?


At church we've been having an excellent series thinking about Money. It's given me lots of food for thought and I'd like to make some changes, and soon.

One thing that I have been reminded of is just how rich we are, living in one of the richest cities in one of the richest countries of the world. We have a roof over our head, clothes to wear (and plenty more to choose from) and 3 good meals a day (plus snacks!).

I've just looked at this website, and discovered that with our combined income, I'm the 43,497,897th richest person in the world! That places me in the top 0.72% of the world, income-wise. So we can definitely afford to do more to help those less fortunate.

I have a sponsor child named Angelica. I sponsor her through Compassion, and she lives in Peru with a family like ours, 2 parents and 2 girls, but her parents only work some days. I struggle with writing letters to her, as our lives are so disparate. They struggle to put food on the table, I'm sure, and yet Angelica is always concerned for others, for example the "poor people in the mountains" who can't keep well and warm in winter.

What would she think of our life of excess, I wonder? What would she think of this photo of a box of fresh fruit that was delivered to our door, with so little effort on our part? What would she have thought of my girls, who were picky about what they would, and wouldn't eat from that box?
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.

Command those who are rich in this present world ... to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share."
1 Timothy 6:6-7, 18
I believe that God created everything and owns everything. I don't know why he's chosen to bless us with more earthly possessions than Angelica's family has, but I am realising more and more that that's not the end of the story.

From this point on, I want to more be more wise, and more giving with my money and my possessions.


1 comment:

Linda said...

Lovely post. I must look at the picture of my sponsored child I had when I was a teenager. I am pretty sure it was Compassion, I loved that organisation. Lovely post.