Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

How to make Marzipan - tutorial

Today I learnt how to make marzipan. I never realised it was so simple!

For my Jane Austen birthday party tonight I mixed up a batch and coated it in chocolate. Here's how:

Combine in a bowl:

1 cup ground almonds
1 cup(or a little over) icing sugar (confectioner's sugar?)

Then add gradually, checking how much liquid you need:
2 egg whites
about 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla essence.

Stir until they form a dough. Refrigerate for 30mins and then use as desired.

I desired to make Chocolate Coated Marzipan so this is what I did next, with Laura's help:

Shape teaspoons of marzipan into balls.

Melt some dark or cooking chocolate in a small pyrex jug in the microwave.


Dip the balls in the chocolate (using small tongs) and stand to dry on waxed paper.


Decorate with a flaked almond or other decoration.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Hill upon Hill said...

..........and we did enjoy, along with trifle and bakewell tart.